Thursday, February 3, 2011

My Community

The community that I am apart of is the community of Invermere BC.  I was born and raised in this community and I still call this place home every summer. Invermere is located in a the columbia valley; which is right between the Rocky and Purcell Mountains. We have hiking trails and a beautiful lake to fish and boat on.



Sports are a very important part of this community. The community is full of people playing soccer, baseball, basketball, hockey, golf. You name a sport we play it. I love being apart of this community but I feel like we are not living to our full potential. We do not take full advantage of the resources that we are given. Sure we have slo-pitch leagues in the summer and rec hockey in the winter. I would say about 90% of the community either watch hockey or play hockey.

I have 2 CD ideas that I wish our council would look into:

1)

 There are so many athletes that come out of Invermere. NHL goalie Wade Dubielewicz is from Invermere and as well as Olympic skier Manny Paradis. Sure these guys started playing their sports here but they never return here to train in the the off-season because our gym is still in the 1970's era. It is impossible to rent ice in our valley unless you want to play late late at night. I wish there was another ice surface. To enhance the overall quality of life in this town I would propose that the community build a sports complex that has all theses things. Things like a fully functional gym, squash courts, gymnasiums, ice surfaces. To me and a lot of other people in the community, it is a necessity.

2)

The only problem with getting a sports complex (other than the $$ of course) is the people that are on the town council. Each council member is over the age of 60. I don't mean to complain, but the only thing that Invermere has for "community fun" is curling tournaments and fishing derbies. It is impossible for them to adopt the idea Kimberley has with "July-Fest" (www.kimberleyjulyfest.com) I wish that every year we would have a "Invermere Days." Just to show and celebrate all of the great things that we have in our community. Have ball tournaments, wake board competitions, concerts, and yes maybe even a damn fishing derby! For one weekend, let the whole town CELEBRATE together.

Alas, myself and many other people before have tried to get one of these going, but it is just so hard to get the support of the council. They would rather be playing croquet and bingo. ( I am just being facetious about that last point)

5 comments:

  1. Haha, I love Bingo! Great post - I really liked how you thought Invermere should start a town celebration sometime during the summer. I grew up in a small town that would literally double in size during the First of July weekend because of everything that was happening. Raymond, AB is such a proud little town that throws a huge community celebration with a parade, family soft ball tournament, rodeo, 3-on-3 basketball tournament, and much more. It brings the community together and gives everyone something to look forward to all year. I can't imagine living in a place that doesn't throw a celebration that includes all ages groups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kristen: bingo rocks. Haha but I can understand your position. I love wakeboarding, and know Invermere as a hockey town (being from Castlegar I'm familiar with the town). Surprised there is no annual event celebrating all sports there. I can relate to your frustration when it comes to council members consisting of an older crowd, not willing to change to modern times. In my hometown they just rejected a vote to expand and retrofit the current community complex (didn't have the support of the council, and tax payers didn't want there taxes to go up). Very disappointing since it is long overdue.

    Hopefully Invermere's council will realize that even newer sports such as wakeboarding have as much value to the community as croquet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post, i for sure agree with the idea of getting another ice surface. Hockey is huge in our country and for any age and obviously big in your home town and an ice surface would benifit more then just hockey players, i have been to your town for hockey and thought it was a pretty cool place. Good points, and post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been to Invermere a few times myself and it is a beautiful place! I'm from BC also so maybe I'm a little bias but definitely a great place to visit. I totally agree with the fact that it could use another fully funcitonal facility and another ice. Would really bring the community together in a big way. Good post man

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice post Reid! Invermere is one of my favorite places to go over summer. I don't really interact within the community, but it seems like an awesome place to live and grow up. It is unfortunate that the council takes no action, or remains stubborn despite all the interest in these new activities. Perhaps they just want to stay involved within community activities so they keep the events age friendly. Regardless don't give up an maybe you'll get your way. An event like that would really add to the town. Great post! keep it up.

    ReplyDelete